Wheat

Flexible Wheat Beer GW33331 — Update 2

At this time, the brew has been removed from the fermentation chamber and allowed to set on my fireplace. the brew has reached FG of 1.010. I am trying to get a bit more fermentation out of it. This morning I awoke to the sound of gurgling as the airlock started to spit and pudder. I’m hoping to carry this primary for maybe another week. I may also rack to secondary and dry hop into an infuser.

More to come.

Advertisements
Standard
Wheat

Flexible Wheat Beer GA10071 Notes

The first day of the 2013 brewing season it was a rainy early fall; the environment cool and comfortable for brewing. The recipe I chose was my flexible wheat beer GA10071 (German Ale 1007 version 1). This recipe I have morphed from a base recipe I found on the internet. The color I expected to be in the SRM of 3.8, but I forgot that I used Dark wheat instead of Belgium wheat, so I have an SRM of 6.8.

Flexible wheat beer GA10071Mashing went very well, no hassles or issues. However, I did have an equipment issue when transferring the mash to the mash tun, in order to sparge. I had to use a food grade bucket (my bottling bucket) to pour the first mash run off into, while the sparge water was coming to tempature. It was a tedious process, but I will be getting another pot for boiling or mashing, in the near future. The new mashing tun (igloo water cooler) worked great! Definitely a great item to have for mashing. Due to the rain, it was easy to clean the mash tun and the bottling bucket, I kept them wet in the rain.

After the mash, I noticed a “gray puss,” on top of the spent grains. I have no clue what that was, but brushed that off as possibly something I didn’t need. I posted the question on to home brew talk for an answer.

As for the primary fermentation period, that has just starred and progressing nicely. I will be posting another entry later on in the week.

Happy brewing!

Standard